is a town of about 9,500 inhabitants, located in the Palermo province
at some 50 m asl.
stretches across a triangular area with its top angle facing the
western slopes of the Mount Raffo Rosso; on the opposite side is
the Thyrrenian Sea marked by the Isola delle Femmine.
area is marked by numerous mountains, their lower slopes rising
closest to the shore.
discovery of remains of ancient weapons across the area attests
to the presence of Paleolithic settlements, notably in the Pizzo
Muletta district. A proper town was founded in the early 1500s,
when Francesco Bologna was granted the title of Baron of the Capaci
fief. It was him who had the castle and a tower built, around which
the earliest settlements started to develop.
town then passed to the Pilo family, who graced the town with various
monuments while developing its economy at the day mainly relying
on fishing – still important today although
and a growing tourism have become the town’s main industries.
is scattered with several interesting buildings, such as the 1700’s
Chiesa Madre, dedicated to Sant’Erasmo, built under the Pilo
rule on the ruins of an old building. Complete with a large stairway,
it has a rather austere façade with three doorways and is
divided into nave and aisles. Its interior preserves various works
of art such as a statue of St. Joseph and a 1800’s Immacolata’s,
and vault frescoes illustrating biblical events among which are
The Assumption of Mary and The Incoronation and the Gloria degli
Angeli e dei Santi.
1700’s Chiesa di San Rocco, recently restored, is also worth-seeing.