is a town of about 5,300 inhabitants, located near the Rocca di
Sciarra district, in the province of Palermo. Its name etimologically
derives from Rocca dell'Avvoltoio, meaning the ‘Vulture Fortress’.
preserves a number of fortifications. One of them is located by
the Imera river’s upper valley, the site dating prior to the
Arab occupation; west of this is a second fortification, the Fortezza
di Sclafani. Both the fortresses were intended to protect the ancient
city saw the Norman domination and, from the 15th century onwards,
the rule of various noble families, the earliest being the Sclafanis,
the latest the Toledos.
is well worth to take a walk along the gracious city streets, that
differ in both origin and features. In fact, the town has an older
side, of 1500’s origin, and a newer, that lies in proximity
to the Chiesa Madre.
dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul, was built in the end of the
16th century and successively restructured. It contains prized pieces
among which a as a painting depicting The Adoration of the Magi
Chiesa di Santa Maria La Nova, also known as the Badia, is simple
in shape, with a single nave adorned with 1700’s stuccoes.